Salary Range: $66,000 – $78,000/annually
· Create analog and digital board level circuit designs, simulations, layouts and validations to support HV power supply products
· Perform product characterization, hardware/software development/modification to meet the required product definition
· Perform prototyping, troubleshooting and qualifying of circuits
· Develop and complete all documentation related to the new product development phases
· Create presentations for internal and external customers using software tools to analyze data and create graphics
· Present data at preliminary and critical design reviews
· Establish and maintain good relationships with vendors and customers
· The Engineer will have a B.S. in a technical discipline (Electronics, Physics, etc.) or equivalent experience with emphasis or experience in digital and analog circuit design
· Familiarity with design, layout, simulation and verification tools
· Familiarity with PCB design tools (preferably Mentor Graphics)
· Familiarity with microcontroller based systems (TI, Microchip)
· Exposure to I/O communication protocols (SPI, USB, etc.)
· Must demonstrate ability to interface technically with customers and co-workers.
· Must demonstrate proficiency in reading and writing in English.
· Must demonstrate competence in composing written technical communication to customers.
· Must be able to accurately assess customer technical requirements and to organize and design a complete response to the customer need.
· Must demonstrate computer literacy.
· Must demonstrate working knowledge of software commonly used in the area.
· Must work effectively and efficiently with no supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Work Assignments. Work assignments will be directed by the Engineering Manager.
· Applications Support. This position will be required to assist VMI Sales by frequent involvement with customers. The Engineer will be required to communicate with customers to determine an accurate, cost-effective, reliable solution to the customer needs.
· Customer Interface. This position requires frequent communication with VMI customers. The Engineer will participate in customer visits at VMI and at the customer’s facilities as required. The Engineer is expected to communicate in a clear, consistent, respectful manner by phone, fax, email, or other means.
· Problem Solving. This position will be required to analyze products and/or processes to accurately assess problems, and determine reasonable solutions to the problem.
· Custom Product Design. This position is required to produce custom product designs as follows:
· Collecting cost, strategic, and technical information from VMI customer
· Communicating this information to appropriate VMI personnel (engineering, accounting, sales reps, management, etc.)
· Coordinating the flow of information between VMI and the customer (providing updates, clarifications, etc.)
· Composing formal proposal in a professional format that details all of the relevant information required to allow the customer to make an informed decision to purchase the product
Custom product requirements are often poorly defined and require a high degree of skill to successfully produce. This position is expected to frequently perform this type of task accurately with limited guidance from others.
· Other. The VMI Engineering organization is a team that shares many duties. This position will be required to perform many miscellaneous functions on a day-to-day basis including:
· Production Support functions
· Sales Support functions, including training sessions
· All other functions that may be required by the department manager