W.W. Norton is seeking an Art Director with a love for books to join its College Production department. The Art Director will be responsible for the art direction and design of a variety of projects including accessible e-book design, complex print designs, infographics and covers. You must be highly organized and have a critical eye for design, excellent communication skills, and thrive in an autonomous workflow. A mastery of complex text layout is essential. This position reports directly to the Design Director of the College Design group.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
· Create interior designs for the College e-books and print books for initial concept to final pass.
· Work collaboratively with editorial team to create visual direction and design identity for each title.
- Assign projects and supervise freelance designers for selected titles.
· Review e-book and print page passes for design adherence using CSS and print language.
· Create cover designs for the College list.
· Adapt book designs for Custom, High School, and Instructors’ editions.
- Work with production managers to keep designs on schedule.
- Attend production, editorial, and other meetings, as needed,
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or equivalent work experience.
· Minimum of 5 years of experience in book or magazine publishing.
· Must have a strong portfolio showing complicated, text-heavy page layouts in a range of styles that complement the diversity of Norton’s publishing program.
· Excellent verbal, written and organizational skills.
· Mastery of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop,
· and Acrobat).
· Experience with HTML, CSS, Bootstrap.
- Self-directed, independent, and organized: able and willing to prioritize and perform a wide range of tasks at different levels, maintain schedules, and meet deadlines.
- Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
- Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s New York City Headquarters. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are temporarily providing employees the option to work remotely.
Please note that applications without attached or linked portfolios will not be considered.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.
About W.W. Norton & Company, Inc.:
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital resources that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.