W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. is seeking an Assistant Editor to support its custom publications department. Working closely with the custom, digital, editorial and production teams, the Assistant Editor will help to create custom e-books and other digital learning tools, manage print custom book production, proofread copy, track inventory, and facilitate on-time delivery. This position reports to the Director of Custom Publishing.
Essential Job Responsibilities Include:
· Transmitting custom print books and shepherding them through all stages of production, testing, and on-time delivery.
· Transmitting custom e-books and shepherding them through all stages of production, testing, and on-time delivery.
· Creating and testing custom landing pages.
· Identifying, obtaining, and managing permissions and related issues.
· Proofreading and copyediting content and covers.
· Initiating and managing reprints process twice each year.
· Mentoring and overseeing Editorial Assistant.
· Collaborating with custom group, book production, media producers, editors, customers, designers, fulfillment group, vendors, travelers, and bookstores.
Please note – this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
· Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US is required.
· Must be able to work full business hours from Norton’s New York City Headquarters. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are temporarily providing employees the option to work remotely.
· At least one year of prior experience in an editorial environment.
· Attention to accuracy and detail.
· Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills.
· Must be able to anticipate needs and deliver timely, relevant solutions and actions.
· Must be proactive, flexible and adaptive in a rapidly changing environment and adjust with a “can-do” attitude.
· Must have good time management skills, be organized, and be capable of multi-tasking across departments, activities, and projects.
· Proficiency in MS Office required; proficiency with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
· Professional copyediting/proofreading training a plus.
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years.” In college publishing, that imperative applies not only to books, but also to an ever-growing list of essential print and digital resources that support teaching and learning. For more information about the Company, visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal opportunity employer. Employment with W. W. Norton is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, veteran status, national origin, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the human resource manager.