Marketing Statement: The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) Occupational Health and Wellness (OHAW) Department is seeking an experienced Medical Director, Clinical Services, who will be responsible for delivering specialty care with a high degree of expertise within the specialty of Occupational Medicine. The incumbent collaborates with other physicians, leads advanced practice providers and clinical staff to ensure that high quality, comprehensive occupational health care is delivered. The Medical Director professionally represents the services and clinical programs of The Office of Occupational Health and Wellness (OHAW) to other WMATA departments, external physicians, state, federal and regulatory agencies. The incumbent is responsible for developing and managing clinical programs to include systems, processes and policies within the Office of Occupational Health and Wellness. This role is critical to OHAW’s Clinical Services Program and requires a dependable and highly organized individual who communicates effectively, is an adept problem-solver, and skilled multitasker.
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D.) or Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.)
- Two (2) Years of clinical Occupational Medicine Experience in a Progressive Occupational Medicine Program-demonstrated proficiency in treating and managing injuries, return to work evaluations, fitness for duty assessments, worker health programs (hearing conservation and respiratory protection), absence management, Blood borne Pathogen procedures and medical surveillance
- Must have significant experience in supervisory roles such as a collaborating physician for advanced practice providers, and clinical staff. nurses, case managers.
- Knowledge of organizational and medical principles involved in medical practice/administration
- District of Columbia and State of Maryland Medical Licenses
- Medical Review Officer (MRO) Certification – must be acquired within six (6) months of hire
- Certified by the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners (NRCME) or acquired within two (2) months of hire
- Possesses Basic Life Support, Advanced Cardiac Life Support or able to obtain current certifications within two (2) months of hire
- Experience in interfacing with medical organizations and outside agencies such as Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), National Institute of Health (NIH), Department of Transportation (DOT), Federal Transit Administration (FTA) and other local, regional and federal agencies
- Experience in the Performance of IME’s disability ratings and providing depositions
- Board Certified or Board Eligible in Occupational Medicine
- Family Medicine, Internal Medicine or Emergency Medicine Physicians with Occupational Medicine experience will be considered
- DC, Maryland and Virginia Medical Licenses (all three)
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority’s Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Medical Director of Occupational Health and Wellness’s Clinical Services Program is a physician who delivers specialty care with a high degree of expertise within the specialty of occupational medicine. The Medical Director formulates plans based on assessment, examination, and selected diagnostic procedures within her/his scope of practice. The incumbent collaborates with other physicians, advanced practice providers, and clinical staff to ensure that high quality, comprehensive occupational health care is delivered. The Medical Director performs and contributes to quality patient care and a high level of satisfaction from the patients and clients served. The incumbent professionally represents the services and clinical programs of Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority/Occupational Health and Wellness (WMATA/OHAW) to other physicians, state, federal and regulatory agencies. The Medical Director further ensures all activities support the goals of delivering high quality, cost effective care and services. Also, the incumbent ensures compliance with WMATA, Federal, State and local laws, jurisdictions and regulatory requirements.
- Performs comprehensive Department of Transportation (DOT) and non-DOT safety sensitive assessments.
- Performs Fitness for Duty evaluations, Return to Duty evaluations, Absenteeism evaluations, and administers occupational safety and health surveillance programs.
- Makes decisions in accordance with occupational medicine principles and DOT regulations.
- Supervises advanced practice providers and manages clinical processes within OHAW which includes Return to Duty, Fitness for Duty, prescription reporting, absence management, and sleep disorder programs.
- Oversees worker health programs such as hearing conservation and respiratory protection.
- Maintains all clinical documentation in accordance with professional practice and standards.
- Ensures all clinical inquiries from the WMATA stakeholders are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Identifies the need to remove employees from duty or disqualify applicants and employees who do not meet DOT/Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) medical standards for physical or mental health conditions.
- Collaborates with OHAW providers regarding employees who experience psychological and emotionally related illnesses to identify conditions that could affect ability to perform work; and makes appropriate referrals and recommendations for further consultation, modified duty, and/or temporary or permanent disability
- Ensures that all OHAW testing and record keeping processes are documented and comply with applicable Federal Transit Administration (FTA), DOT, FMCSA, US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other federally or state mandated laws and regulations.
- Acts in compliance with WMATA and Federal programs, laws of the jurisdictions in which the Authority operates, (DC, MD and VA,) including company policy associated with drug and alcohol testing.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with clients, including patients, referring physicians, insurance carriers, government agencies, related organizations, and other health-related facilities.
- Actively participates in activities pertaining to state, regional, and national occupational medicine organizations.
- Participates in the development of business and marketing plans related to the strategic growth initiatives of OHAW as appropriate.
- Acts in compliance with all WMATA/OHAW policies, protocols and procedures related to and medical practice.
- Ensures all activities support the physician clinic goals of delivering high quality, cost effective care and services.
- Consistently and in a timely manner produces all documentation required to provide excellent patient care, expedite results to clients and do so in compliance with all regulations, collective bargaining agreements and WMATA policies.
- Integrates and demonstrates values and expectations for personal and service excellence to guide professional behaviors, while adhering to the policies and procedures of OHAW.
- OTHER FUNCTIONS
- Consults with the Designated Employer Representative and management in development and implementation of appropriate protocols and standard operating procedures.
- Consults with WMATA counsel and provides deposition or expert testimony at hearings including arbitrations, worker’s compensation hearings, unemployment hearing and court cases resulting from care of our patients.
- Offers recommendations regarding additional or updated procedures, guidelines, and protocols of WMATA.
- Promotes healthy and safe behavior through health education, training and counseling through wellness/fitness programs, weight management, smoking cessation, hypertension management, diabetes management, fatigue management and stress management.
- Performs other duties as requested to facilitate the effective medical operations of department.
- Balances team and individual responsibilities; is open, receptive and objective to other’s views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to positive team goals; and puts the success of the team above own interests.
- Demonstrates initiative to improve quality and customer service.
- Assists in the identification of unmet Occupational Medicine needs about patient and client services within our market and assists in determining appropriate ways to meet those needs.
- The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.