Waymo is an autonomous driving technology company with a mission to make it safe and easy for people and things to get where they’re going. Since our start as the Google Self-Driving Car Project in 2009, Waymo has been focused on building the World’s Most Experienced Driver in hopes of improving the world’s access to mobility while saving thousands of lives now lost to traffic crashes. Our Waymo Driver powers Waymo One, our fully autonomous ride-hailing service, as well as Waymo Via, our trucking and local delivery service. To date, Waymo has driven over 20 million miles autonomously on public roads across 25 U.S. cities and conducted over 20 billion miles of simulation testing.
Software Engineering builds the brains of Waymo’s fully autonomous vehicles. Our software allows our vehicles to perceive the world around them, make the right decision for every situation, and deliver people safely to their destinations. We think deeply and solve complex technical challenges in areas like robotics, perception, decision-making and deep learning, while collaborating with hardware and systems engineers.
Waymo interns work alongside leaders in the industry on projects that deliver significant impact to the company. We believe learning is a two-way street: leveraging your knowledge while providing you with opportunities to expand your skill-set. Interns are an important part of our culture and our recruiting pipeline. Join us at Waymo for a fun and rewarding internship!
In this internship, you’ll:
- Gain understanding of weather detection and estimation using test data or real-world logs
- Research and implement solutions to detect and estimate weather onboard on autonomous vehicles
- Exercise decision making regarding onboard sensor and architecture based on data analyses and modeling results
At a minimum we’d like you to have:
- Must be enrolled in a MS/PHD program or already hold an advanced degree in computer science, robotics, electrical engineering, or similar technical field of study
- Experience in at least one of: robotics, deep learning/machine learning, signal processing, estimation and modeling, and statistical analyses
- Experience in data structures and advanced algorithms
- Experience programming in Python
We prefer candidates to have:
- Experience with audio signal processing and/or computational analyses of audio signals
- Experience programming with tensorflow, or similar frameworks
- Experience programming in C++
- Help solve challenging problems with a direct impact on the company
- Competitive compensation packages with a housing/relocation bonus (if applicable)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Fun intern events and networking opportunities
Onsite Perks (These perks will only be applicable if the internship is on site)
- Free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks
- Free access to Google shuttles
- Onsite gym
Note: This is an fall internship position in our Ann Arbor office. As the situation around COVID-19 remains unclear, this may be a remote internship position. We will accept resumes on a rolling basis until the role is filled. To be in consideration for multiple roles, you will need to apply to each one individually – please apply to the top 3 roles you are interested in.