White Violet Center for Eco-Justice (WVC) is looking for interns for our winter/spring 2022 cohort on our certified organic farm. Located at beautiful Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana, WVC is 80 miles west of Indianapolis. Our farm, which grows a variety of crops including flowers, is USDA certified organic. We have two high tunnels, two greenhouses, an apple orchard, berry patch and a classified forest. We also have a herd of alpacas and a flock chickens.
We are a teaching farm. Our winter/spring internship is an immersive, practical experience where you’ll learn firsthand about local agriculture, animal husbandry and fiber arts under the direction of our team of dedicated and caring people. You’ll also work and live side-by-side with other interns from all over the country.
Job Description: Interns work approximately 35-45 hours per week, five days a week including some weekends. Responsibilities include:
· Plant, mulch, weed, and other seasonal farm tasks
· Harvest, clean and pack seasonal vegetables, fruit, herbs, berries and flowers
· Feed and care for alpacas and chickens
· Gather, clean and process eggs
· Maintain coops, barns and pastures
· Learn the different aspects of fiber which include skirting, carding, dyeing, knitting, spinning, weaving, crocheting and felting
· Use your skills to create fiber products
· Work in our store and assist at the indoor farmers market
· Partake in weekly extracurricular enrichment activities
· Participate in field trips and educational seminars
· Present a project of your choice at the end of your experience
· Internship may qualify for independent study
· Seasonal produce and eggs from the farm
· Monthly stipend
· Free housing
· Household items such as laundry soap and cleaning supplies
· 18 years old by Jan. 10, 2022
· Willingness to learn and the ability to self-direct.
· Physically fit, capable of lifting heavy items, and able to use basic tools such as a shovel and wheelbarrow
· Prepared to work in a variety of weather conditions
· Previous experience with animals is helpful but not necessary to apply
We welcome people of all faith traditions (or none), ethnicities, backgrounds, socio-economic demographics, sexual and gender orientations.