WILLAMALANE PARK AND RECREATION DISTRICT
invites applications for the position of:
Activity Leader- Youth Programs
General Statement Of Duties: Monitors and supervises children in a variety of recreation activities; develops and recommends program activities and projects; ensures safety of children who are participating in the program; does related work as required.
Distinguishing Features Of The Class: An employee in this classification is responsible for ensuring the safety of children in the program while supervising and assisting children in recreation activities such as games, songs, learning activities, arts and craft projects, and special events; and for developing and recommending program activities and projects. Work is performed under the supervision of a Youth Programs Supervisor, with daily on-site direction from a Program Leader. Supervision is not normally a responsibility of positions in this classification.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES PERFORMED:
(Illustrative only. Any single position of a class will not necessarily involve all of the duties listed, and many positions will involve duties that are not listed.)
- Monitors participant safety with various measures including attendance taking, active supervision, and frequent head counts. Ensures the safety of all participants at the site.
- Supervises and assists children in recreation activities such as games, songs, educational activities, arts and crafts projects, and special events; leads and directs activities as requested.
- Recommends program activities and projects to Program Leader and Recreation Coordinator.
- Assists with serving snacks; performs necessary cleanup.
- Respond to behavior concerns and implements PBIS (Positive Behavior Intervention Strategies) Administers first aid and responds to emergencies as required.
- At the direction of a Program Leader, prepares site; sets up supplies and/or equipment for activities; performs necessary cleanup.
- Responds to questions from parents and keeps them informed regarding their child’s progress/achievements.
- Adhere to the daily program schedule.
- Routine cleaning and sanitization of recreation program site and supplies.
- Completes paperwork as required.
- Reports cases of suspected child abuse to supervisor and contacts Department of Human Services as necessary.
- Performs other job-related duties or tasks as required.
Knowledge: Some knowledge of behavior management and discipline of children.
Skills: The administration of basic first aid and CPR; leading activities for children.
Abilities: Work successfully with children, parents and staff; deal effectively with behavioral problems of children; provide clear instructions and directions; understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Physical Demands Of The Position: The employee will frequently be required to stand and be mobile for over 70% of the work period. While performing the duties of this position the employee will frequently be required to crouch or kneel and seldom be required to bend and twist. Physical exertion and coordination is occasionally required to lift materials up to 30 pounds such as activity materials, snack foods, etc. The position requires the use of arms, wrists, and hands, including manual dexterity and coordination, for the vast majority of the work period. The employee is occasionally required to use a step stool and reach above the head and shoulder. In performing the essential duties of this position, the employee will spend over 70% of the work period indoors and the remainder outdoors, thus exposure to heat in summer is likely. Exposure to loud noise is low, and never requires ear protection. Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties of this class with reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodation will be evaluated on an individual basis and depends, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, the limitations related to the disability and the ability of the hiring department to accommodate the limitation.
Personal Protective Equipment: Ability to use protective equipment required to perform job tasks as needed and as required by health and safety guidelines.
Experience And Training: High school graduation or equivalency and one year of experience working with children; or any satisfactory combination of experience and training which demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the above-described duties.
Necessary Special Requirements: Possession of or ability to obtain current first aid and CPR certificates; possession of and ability to obtain a current Oregon Food Handler Permit; Possession or ability to obtain Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect Certification (RRCAN) and Introduction to Childcare Health and Safety Certification (ICCHS). This job is considered safety sensitive, a drug screen test, and ability to pass a criminal background check will be required prior to employment.
September -June M-F 2- 6pm with a potential extended shift every other Friday 12:15- 6pm
Potential morning hours from 7-8:30am
Equal Opportunity Employer
Drug Free Workplace
APPLICATIONS AND QUESTIONAIRES NEED TO BE FILED ONLINE AT:
250 S 32nd St
Bob Keefer Center for Sports and Recreation
Springfield, OR 97478
ACTIVITY LEADER- YOUTH PROGRAMS