Job Title: Head Cook
Reports to: Camp Director
Position Purpose: The Head Cook directs the overall food-service operation of the camp including purchasing, preparation, nutrition, service, sanitation, security, assisting with personnel management, and record keeping.
Essential Job Functions:
1) Manage the daily operations of the camp food and dining service including coordinating activities between the kitchen and dining room.
Oversee the planning and preparation of nutritionally balanced camp meals, snacks, and pack-out food.
Ensure the service of camp meals through directing the work of other employees.
Ensure safe and efficient preparation and serving of camp meals.
2) Oversee the inventory and ordering of food, equipment, and supplies and arrange for the routine maintenance, sanitation, and upkeep of the camp kitchen, its equipment, and facilities.
Maintain inventory of food and supplies.
Order food and kitchen supplies consistent with menus and enrollment counts.
Maintain high standards of cleanliness, sanitation, and safety.
Clean and maintain all food-service areas, including kitchen, dining hall, storage, kitchen recycling.
Promote practices that seek to reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as much as possible.
3) Assist the Camp Director with administrative and human-resource functions in regard to kitchen employees.
Monitor employee performance and training.
Assist with evaluating the dietician and kitchen staff.
Plan, coordinate, schedule, and supervise the work of other food service staff.
4) Abide by all policies and procedures as outlined in the staff training manual.
5) Be alert to campers and fellow staff needs. Assist with health or personal problem and/or discuss with nursing staff, head counselors or camp director as necessary.
6) Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
7) Other duties as assigned.
Other Job Duties:
- Assisting with special events
- Contributing to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
Relationships: The Head Cook has a close working relationship with the maintenance department to assist in the proper and efficient operation of all kitchen appliances. Most importantly, it is imperative to maintain constant communication with the Camp Director regarding all budgetary concerns and updates.
Qualifications: (Minimum Education and Experience)
Experience in institutional or large food service setting.
Knowledge of and experience in food service: ordering, inventory, budgeting, food preparation, family-style serving, buffet serving, cleaning, and institutional kitchen equipment.
Must hold current certification or licensure for operating a kitchen in the camp’s jurisdiction.
Ability to work within a budget and purchase supplies efficiently.
Experience in supervision.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Desire and ability to work with people with disabilities in varied conditions.
· Have a sense of humor
· Organizational skills
· Aptitude for completing reports and paperwork
· Ability to communicate with others
Physical Aspects of the Job:
1) Be able to routinely (multiple times per day) lift and carry over 30 lbs.
2) Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures (weather, fire, etc.)
3) Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
4) Ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid (illness or injury).
5) Experience daily sun and heat exposure
Demands of the job may be such as to require you to assume duties not indicated that may be assigned by the Camp Director or person you are accountable to.
Some requirements of a Head Cook will include endurance such as prolonged standing, bending, stooping, walking long distances, hiking and stretching. The position requires hand-eye coordination.