Job Title: Health Care Assistant
Reports to: Health Care Supervisor, Camp Director
Position Purpose: The Health Care Manager is responsible for assisting with providing health and safety services to campers and staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Under the direction of the Health Care Manager, assist in providing health care and first aid services to meet the needs of camp staff and campers.
Assist with daily medication management and dispersion.
Help supervise and care for people admitted to the Health Center for care.
Provide CPR and First Aid coverage as needed at designated times and locations.
Provide direct care to staff within the scope of their skills, the camp’s health care manual, and treatment procedures.
- Monitor and assist in maintaining health and safety practices while working in other areas throughout camp.
Prepare athletic areas and waterfront with adequate water, sunscreen, and other prevention materials.
Assist in ensuring campers wash before entering the dining area.
Work with other staff to minimize/eliminate health and safety risks.
- Provide health care to meet individual needs of camp staff and campers.
Collaborate with other medical staff to meet medical needs.
Follow health care policies/procedures as described in the WBC Healthcare Plan.
4. Screen all campers and staff who are arriving and departing camp.
Verify health history and examination.
Verify emergency authorization.
Identify any observable evidence of illness or communicable diseases.
Conduct a health assessment.
Keep all medications used by campers and staff.
5. Supervise sanitary conditions throughout camp.
Observe daily cleanliness in the food service facility and other areas throughout camp.
Report any health problems or symptoms of illness to the Camp Director.
- Participate enthusiastically in camp activities and motivate campers to participate in programs to their greatest ability.
- Abide by all policies and procedures as outlined in the staff training manual.
- Be alert to campers and fellow staff needs. Assist with health or personal problem and/or discuss with nursing staff, head counselors or camp director as necessary.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Be able to instruct campers in emergency procedures and situations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Job Duties:
- May accompany camper off-site in a medical emergency.
Registered nurse (RN) or Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) with a license as required by that state law.
Current First aid certification and experience in first aid and emergency management.
Experience in both children and adult illness/injury care.
Desire to work with people who have disabilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Understand the needs of the campers WBC serves.
· Ability to relate to campers and staff in a positive manner.
· Have a sense of humor
· Organizational skills
· Aptitude for completing reports and paperwork
· Ability to communicate with others
Physical Aspects of the Job:
1) Be able to routinely (multiple times per day) lift and carry over 50 lbs.
2) Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures (weather, fire, etc.)
3) Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
4) Ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid (illness or injury).
5) Experience daily sun and heat exposure
Demands of the job may be such as to require you to assume duties not indicated that may be assigned by the Camp Director or person you are accountable to