Job Title: Kitchen Assistant/Dining Hall Coordinator
Reports to: Head Cook, Camp Director
Position Purpose: To assist the Head Cook in preparing and serving nutritious meals and in maintaining the cleanliness and sanitation of the kitchen and dishwashing area. Manages the coordination, delivery, and clean-up of dining services to the campers and staff.
Essential Job Functions:
1) Assist in the daily operations of the camp food service.
Assist in the preparation of food as the menu indicates including washing and peeling.
Set up food, supplies, and utensils for dining hall distribution.
Store food and leftovers at proper temperature.
2) Assist in routine sanitation of the kitchen and related equipment.
Clean and maintain all food-preparation and storage areas.
Wash all dishes, serving and preparation equipment, and utensils according to regulated washing methods and temperatures.
Reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as indicated through the camp’s procedures.
3) Assist in the preparation and packaging of food for use outside the camp dining hall.
4) Manage the daily operations of the camp dining service including coordinating activities between the kitchen and dining room.
Work with Head Cook to know the meals being served and the related dining services needs.
Work closely with Head Cook to coordinate the specifics of special meals such as picnic dinners, guest meals, and snack carts.
Work closely with person leading songs/announcements at each meal to coordinate timing of service.
Organize the feeding of all personnel in such a manner as to expedite the operation and to avoid delays.
5) Oversee the maintenance and sanitation of the dining room equipment and furnishings.
Oversee the cleanliness of tables, chairs, floors, ensuring that everything is ready for the next meal.
Promote practices that seek to reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as much as possible.
Assist the Head Cook with inspecting the cleanliness of all dishes, silverware, or any other eating/serving utensil.
Set up an adequate area for the disposal of trays, silverware, trash, glasses, and recycling.
Maintain, stock, clean, and prepare beverages as needed in the dining room area.
Oversee the sweeping and mopping of the dining hall on a daily basis.
Inventory and refill any materials needed in the operation of the dining room.
6) Abide by all policies and procedures as outlined in the staff training manual.
7) Be alert to campers and fellow staff needs. Assist with health or personal problem and/or discuss with nursing staff, head counselors or camp director as necessary.
8) Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
9) Other duties as assigned.
Other Job Duties:
- Assisting with special events
- Ring wake-up and meal bells
- Ensure that grace is being sung before each meal
- Contributing to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
- Work cooperatively with food prep, serving and clean-up as needed.
Qualifications: (Minimum Education and Experience)
Experience in institutional or large food service setting preferred.
Willingness to work with WBC’s camper population
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Desire and ability to work with people with disabilities in varied conditions.
· Have a sense of humor
· Organizational skills
· Aptitude for completing reports and paperwork
· Ability to communicate with others
Physical Aspects of the Job:
1) Be able to routinely (multiple times per day) lift and carry over 30 lbs.
2) Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures (weather, fire, etc.)
3) Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards.
4) Ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid (illness or injury).
5) Experience daily sun and heat exposure
Demands of the job may be such as to require you to assume duties not indicated that may be assigned by the Camp Director or person you are accountable to.