The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a Clinical Research Analyst to assist in observational research activities, including design and development of databases, writing computer code, data management, analysis, and preparation of research findings for publication under the direction of the Principal Investigator (PI), Seshadri Mudumbai, M.D.
The Mudumbai Lab’s key research focus is understanding key factors related to medication and pain management for veterans, and surgery patients in particular. Our primary study is researching indicators of misuse, abuse, and overdose with opioids, and future projects are also looking at digital tools to improve veteran health.
This is a part-time (up to 19 hours a week), non-exempt (hourly-paid) position. Benefits:
- Sick Pay
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Company Match and Profit Share
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
- Design and develop databases using SQL Server and Stored Procedures;
- Write computer code to acquire data from primary or secondary data sources, implement and maintain data systems.
- Write computer code to implement analysis;
- Design and interpret analyses, including researching new data sources and methodology;
- Identify, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets.
- Maintain accurate documentation of work.
- Clean data, identify problems with data or coding, and resolve technical problems.
- Contribute to preparation for research manuscripts and project reports and generate tables and graphs for publications.
- Monitor datasets and statistical deliverables for quality assurance.
- Collaborate with research team and other experts in the field regarding ongoing analyses of the project.
Required: Master’s degree in quantitative field (e.g., computer science, mathematics, economics), public health, biological sciences, or related field.
Desired: current enrollment in a PhD program in a quantitative field with ability to commit to this part-time opportunity for around 2 years.
Required: Minimum of 1 year of related experience working with querying of data and data analysis.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Intermediate to advanced SQL (large amount of code and numerous JOINs, complex JOINs, subqueries, stored procedures, indexes, temp tables and CTEs, query optimization);
- Back-end data analysis;
- High level of expertise in at least one statistical programming language (SAS, STATA, R);
- Demonstrated expertise in creating, managing and analyzing structured and unstructured data using SQL, R and Python;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Formal training in quantitative or data related field and empirical methods;
- Knowledge and interest of research in health care settings preferred;
- Ability to transfer scientific knowledge to practical applications;
- Strong and effective communication skills (verbal and written);
- Ability to comply with rules and regulations for clinical research;
- Ability to work independently and be a team player;
- Efficient time-management and prioritization skills.
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
Physical: Sitting in front of a computer for long periods of time, repetitive movement.
Environmental: Office environment.
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information:www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Minorities, Women, Veterans, and Individuals with a Disability are encouraged to apply. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department at email@example.com.